Wednesday, August 10, 2016

#Blessed

One thing I wish someone would have told me as a new mom is that NO ONE has it together all the time.

A friend of mine uses #blessed ironically to describe the moments that are less than picturesque; the moments with so much realness you don't want to share them with your childless friends for fear the human race would not continue.

But here we are in the age of social media, everyone’s happy smiling faces, family photos, trips to Disneyland, first days of school all marked #blessed.  Its easy to feel like the only parent who has no idea what they are doing, especially if you don’t subscribe to a specific parenting philosophy.  Just know with every beautiful moment posted, there are 9 other moments of crazy chaos (think bull riding, blindfolded, balancing an egg on your head).

So why not share the realness?  The diaper explosions, the breakfast tantrums, the snotty noses…if that’s the real deal then why don’t we see more of it?  My answer is because those moments are so fleeting, even if they are frequent.  If my parent-heart is a pond, then the tough moments are tiny little mist grazing the still surface, while the smiles and milestones are cannonballs - you can feel the waves and ripples of the good stuff much stronger and for far longer.


Self reflecting I can say on a good day I know what I am doing 50% of the time and half of that 50% I am sleeping.  In spite of craziness, would I say I am #blessed? ABSOLUTELY!

No comments: